Thursday, May 31, 2007

Searching for fishing spots...

Geri had to work today, Memorial Day 2007, so I took the opportunity to explore south of Missoula into the upper section of the Bitterroot Valley, searching for places to fish. I wanted to try out my new waders and wading boots buts did not get the opportunity to ‘suit up’, as it were and get into the water.
I packed a lunch and my fly fishing gear into my car and headed south on hiway 93. I took along my new W.W. Griggs 7 foot 4 weight fly pole as well, hoping to get some fishing action of some kind with it.
I intended to try to find some fishing spot or spots along the East Side Highway that you access by turning east at the Florence, Montana junction and it then swings south down along the east side of the Bitterroot river. There are some small creeks that feed into the Bitterroot out of the east hills, and of course there are several streams that feed the Bitterroot out of the mountains to the west of the valley as well.
On of my first diversions off the East Side highway was the Lee Metcalf National Wildlife Refuge, which is run by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, a part of the Department of the Interior. It is a beautiful preserve and I took several photographs while there. As you travel into the preserve you see lots of wetlands areas, special perches erected for large birds of prey, the Osprey to build their nests on rather than power poles where they would perish. The close up photos of these magnificent birds I took with my digital camera pressed up against one side of my binoculars! I though they came out pretty good considering what I had to work with!
I drove into the refuge and stopped at an area that has been developed for folks to walk around and see and hear the various species that inhabit the area, like the Osprey, beaver, woodpecker, kingfisher, loons and so on. Fishing is also allowed with artificial lures and on a catch and release basis only. I didn’t ‘suit up’ with my waders and such, but wore just my fishing vest and took my new rod into the walking area. There is an area (see photos) called Francois Slough that had large slow water where I did some fly casting with my new rod and a couple new locally crafted fly’s called Montana Cheap Trick and Montana Madness. The new rod handled beautifully, and now can’t wait to try it on some creeks that I know have fish in them. I walked the paths that are paved that lead back into the wooded area and then alongside the large Bitterroot River and back to the car again for a nice workout.
I drove out of the Refuge, taking more photos along the way. The refuge also has an old preserved homestead on it as well as a sizeable bison (buffalo) heard. I drove some of the back roads that eventually came out past the Stevensville airport and into Stevensville, Montana. I stopped briefly at the St. Mary’s Mission that was established in 1841 and a few more pictures. I dif not go into the visitors center but just walked around the grounds a bit.
The old church and Indian tee-pee looked good against the sky, clouds and mountains!
I stopped in a little new housing community as it was close to the river to shoot a few more scenery pictures. It is a shame to see the sign “Private Access Rivers Edge Property Owners Only”… Always trying to keep ‘others’ out…
After my visit to Stevensville, I drove out to Highway 93 and headed North toward Missoula. I took the Kootenai Creek Road and the Bass Creek Road for a little drive up toward the western foothills looking for some fishing accesses but with no luck. I did some walking around in the area as well for exercise and more photos.
I headed on back to Missoula and got home in the late afternoon for a little nap and some computer time.
I worked on Tuesday but have Wednesday and Thursday off. Geri has to work on Wednesday so I plan on driving up to Phillipsburg and into the Lower Willow Creek area to see how that fishing looks.

Enjoy the photos!

Fragmentum

(Click on individaul images to make them larger)
































































































































No comments: