Friday, May 18, 2007

Planning for Cane...

Geri and I took the Harley south of Missoula to Hamilton, Montana today. This was the city of my birth some 56 years ago. The day was beautiful and at about 70ยบ and a light breeze, the weather was perfect for a day out on the motorcycle.
Earlier in the morning, we took Geri’s Subaru to a local trusted mechanic to have him connect his computer to the car to read the code the car’s computer was putting out to make the dash light ‘Check Engine’ illuminate. It had been coming on consistently over the past week or so. I has checked and replaced the PCV valve and the light went out for awhile. The mechanic’s computer was showing the code related to the ‘knock sensor’ and advised how to fix it other than direct replacement. We may have to finally replace it but when we got home, I removed it, cleaned it and reinstalled it. We will drive the car over the next few days to see if the dash light does go out. If not, I will order a new one in and replace it.
Geri and I arrived in Hamilton in the early afternoon after our leisurely ride south on highway 93. We passed several small streams that drain into the Bitteroot River and they did look inviting, although they may be running a little high right now.
My goal was to stop at The Montana Fly Fishing Center
(
http://www.montanaflyfishingcenter.com/). We had read an article written by the proprietor, Dick Galli, about fishing in his area, the services and supplies he offered through his shop. What intrigued me was that he is an accomplished bamboo fly rod maker. I wanted to see and FEEL his work as I am very interested in a bamboo fly rod of my own, but the pricing I was finding for new rods on the internet were upwards of $1500 to $4000!!! As Mr. Galli’s advertising on his website was offering newly made bamboo fly rods at the $500 level and up.
We stopped in and Mr. Galli introduced himself. He made us feel quite at home and was very congenial. I related my interest in cane (bamboo) fly rods and interested in one myself. He allowed me to cast a couple rods outside the front of his shop. I tried a 3 weight and a 4 weight and was amazed how nicely they both cast with a weight forward line at the distances I was interested in reaching. I told Mr. Galli I would be inclined to purchase a new cane rod in late fall or winter sometime, finances being what they are. He offered to let me finish my own bamboo rod from his blanks as he teaches people how to complete their own rods. I was VERY interested in the opportunity. I will follow up with this splendid opportunity late in the year!!!!
With advice from on of Dick Galli’s friend and fly tier, Ted Trowbridge, we stopped at a local bread store for lunch. ‘A Place to Ponder’ bakery made us a great couple sandwiches and Geri ran into one of her dialysis patients there also have lunch. We then rode back North again then at Lolo headed west to Lolo Hot Springs to dip into their pool and soak in the hot springs. We had a great afternoon there as there were not many people there in the middle of the week. The hot springs have been enjoyed by the native American Indians for hundreds of years. Lewis & Clark also took advantage of the natural hot springs as well during their trek across the USA. There is a large outdoor pool and a smaller natural hot spring fed indoor soaking pool and we took full advantage of both while there. It was so relaxing lying in the pool and watching the huge billowy clouds just drift across the blue sky above the mountains.
We drove home in a warm afternoon and I tried to shoot several photos along the Lolo Creek area.

You can click on some of the images to make them larger.
Later…























































































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are just spectacular! i'll forward this to Alan...He may be interested in stopping at the fly rod shop when we come over. ~smile~ Looks like you both had a wonderful day!!

love you lots, janie

Frag said...

Thanks for swinging by for a visit. Glad you enjoyed the few photos. Yes, The Montana Fly Fishing Center is a nice little store.

Fragmentum