Thursday, May 10, 2007

Nice weekend…



Today was the second day of my ‘weekend’, which for my schedule is on Wednesdays and Thursdays. So I had another day to put some more mileage on the ’07 Harley-Davidson Road King. I drove out to Lolo and stopped by the new business out there called Iron Horse Garage. Montana Harley-Davidson gives them special pricing on their parts and accessories they use in their repair shop. I have delt with them a couple times since they opened their business, but never took the opportunity to go out and introduce myself till today.
Their retail area is well laid out with a nice selection of custom add on accessories, t-shirts, leathers and other doo dads. They also had 4 used motorcycles available for sale. I chit chatted with the owner and his wife for a little while and the owner was lamenting over not being able to get out of his 1200 Custom Sportster what he has into it in order to trade up to a new Road King Harley. I suggested he put the bike up for sale on eBay. He thought that sounded like a good idea.
I left there and headed on up Lolo canyon along Lolo Creek, which has a very high water flow about now. Probably way to much water for comfortable fly fishing. The weather today was in the mid 70º range with big billowy clouds and a light breeze. I took the opportunity to stop at all the roadside historical points and read the information about the injustices the Calvary inflicted on the native American Indians trying to heard them all onto reservations and off their native lands.
This valley that extends westward to Lolo pass and on into Idaho was also part of the Lewis and Clark expedition in 1805. The camp grounds were still locked out and will open May 15th through September 30th, so I was a few days early. I still stopped and shot a few photos and enjoyed the ambiance.
I traveled further west to about 7 miles east of Lolo Hot Springs and turned around as I had other chores to attend to in the afternoon. As I was heading back towards the town of Lolo I noticed the fuel warning light on the speedometer face was on then glanced at the gas gauge mounted in the left fuel tank and the needle was nestled up against the ‘E’ mark! I made it back into Lolo OK but not before collecting a small stinging insect near my upper left temple where my helmet met the skin. Ouch! It wasn’t enough to take my attention off the road and I was able to remove said insect and continue on into Lolo.
I gassed up at the Exxon station and the tank took 4.59 gallons to fill it. I whistled on up highway 93 into Missoula and home. I had some grocery shopping to do for our bar-b-que for supper and completed all that long before Geri got home.
All in all it was a very pleasant day!

Later…

No comments: