Friday, June 1, 2007

Regalia...

So here I am all decked out in my fishing regalia… Waders, boots, fishing vest, EAA fishing hat and pole.
I fished the Upper Willow Creek out of Philipsburg on Wednesday and caught my legal limit of Cutthroat Trout. Barley enough for a meal for myself, but will share with Geri. I am so looking forward to tonight’s meal, and as soon as she is in from tending her flower garden, we will cook them up with some fried potatoes and a nice salad!
Our Montana countryside is typical with livestock along the dirt roads back in off the main paved hiways. I drove back into the western hills looking for specific places to fish North of Philipsburg (Pville to the locals) and found one small feeder stream to a man made reservoir. I took out my large pole (a Martin Caddis Creek 9’ 5 weight) to give the small stream a try cuz I already had a reel mounted on it. I got one small fish hooked but it was only about 5 inches long. I released that one. The stream didn’t seem too promising so I pack up and headed on back to the eastern side and onto the hiway leading down to Pville. I stopped a couple times to check out Flint Creek that flows North toward the Clark Fork River. It was running chocolate color (very dirty) and pretty fast. It has the meandering type of following that I like to fish, but it needs clearing up and not as rampant a flow!!! I took the 348 road west from Pville toward Rock Creek and Upper Willow Creek, hoping that Willow Creek was fishable like last year when Geri and I were up to the Elliott’s cabin up Scotchman Gulch.
When I got to the creek the gates to the fences were all wide open, and the property was not ‘posted’ at all!!!! What luck!!! I pulled into one of the gate openings and into the field a ways and parked. I ‘suited up’ with my regalia and headed for the stream. I found Upper Willow Creek in fabulous shape to fish. A little more water flow than late last year, but not at all unruly. The Cutthroat was biting on dry flies. I only fished for about 3 hours or so, and got some nice ones!
I did take a drive down to Rock Creek but didn’t fish it.
Geri was pleased that I had a good time and brought home some fish to fry.
Thursday we took her sister Chrissy with us and took a drive up the Blackfoot River to Cottonwood Creek and Monture Creek out of Ovando, Montana. We packed picnic foods and fishing gear. I fished both creeks but didn’t catch anything that day. We all still had a nice outing together then went out to dinner when we returned to Missoula.

Enjoy the photos.

Fragmentum














No comments: