Friday, April 29, 2016

 'Sally Hansen Sand Turtle Gleemer'


Today I learned how others are getting such smooth and flowing wraps on their bamboo fly rods. I recall seeing an article in the 'Planing Form' issue I received recently by Tony Spezio about these 'gleemers'.
I learned these fine ladies fingernail tools were being employed by rod builders to file, smooth and polish the varnished guide wraps and the blanks as well. I decided to give this a try on my wraps, which I felt I had enough coats of dried urethane on my wraps to safely sand them smooth without cutting into the thread.
I was amazed at the results! After cleaning off the sanded dust and applying a thinned urethane coat to the wraps the appear super smooth and delightful.

This video is of the butt section with sanding and varnish overcoat applied

This video shows the sanded wraps ready for the varnish overcoat 
This video shows sanded wraps after diluted varnish overcoat has been applied

No comments: