Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Band Saw Jig

My latest project, a band saw jig for cutting strips from culms of bamboo is finally finished, and I actually cut a few strips from some test material I got from Scott after finishing my fly rod making class last Spring. Thank you again, Scott!!!
This jig is based off the drawing and photos shared with me by Dana Fish in Maine. He was very helpful with the finer points of the material selection and execution of the build. I modified mine somewhat by elongating the tube structure for more support of a 6 foot length of bamboo as it is being cut by a single operator.
I made only 4 cuts with this device so far for testing its functionality, and was immediately impressed with its accuracy and smoothness of operation... Oh, and yes, I still posses all of my fingers!!!
It has a 'fence' attached to the tube that you can rotate along the axis of the tube to set the width of the cut. One simply holds the culm that has been split or cut in half against the tube and the fence and cuts through the band saw blade. Using a bi-metal 10/14 half inch blade makes the cuts accurately and smoothly. 










 
 

No comments: